Industry Insights Healthcare

Industry Insights: Healthcare 9th June

Industry Insights: Healthcare 9th June

  • Reading time:3 mins read

Industry Insights Healthcare: 09/06/24

Here are three briefly summarised articles to help keep you informed of the latest developments in the industry.

Moderna receives U.S. FDA Approval for RSV vaccine mRSEVIA

Moderna has announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved mRESVIA to protect adults aged 60 years and older from respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) lower respiratory tract infection. This new vaccine is an mRNA vaccine based on Moderna’s messenger RNA platform. This approval stems from a Phase 3 clinical trial, ConquerRSV, which demonstrated a vaccine efficacy against RSV lower respiratory tract infection of 83.7%. There were no serious safety concerns identified. It is expected that mRESVIA will be available for eligible populations in the U.S. by the 2024/2025 virus season.

 

Pembrolizumab prior to surgery can improve outcomes for patients with stage two or three bowel cancer (MMR deficient/MSI-High bowel cancer)

Interim results from the NEOPRISM-CRC phase II trial (NCT05197322) were presented at the American Society of Clinical Onocology (ASCO) Annual Meeting. Thirty-two patients with stage two or three bowel cancer with genetic profile (MMR deficient/MSI-High bowel cancer) were recruited to nine weeks of pembrolizumab prior to surgery, rather than the usual treatment of chemotherapy and surgery. Pembrolizumab is a monoclonal antibody that binds to a protein on immune cells and works by keeping cancer from suppressing the immune system. These interim results indicate that 59% of patients had no signs of cancer after treatment with pembrolizumab, while the other 41% of patients had surgical resection for any remaining cancer. Following treatment, all patients were cancer free and remained so during the 10 months of follow up. The trial will continue to assess overall survival and relapse rates.

 

Study finds microplastics in thrombi, linking them to a higher risk of heart attack and strokes

Microplastics are emerging as a significant environmental and health concern. Thrombus samples were collected from 30 patients who underwent interventional procedures due to stroke, myocardial infarction or deep vein thrombosis. These thrombi were then analysed to identify and quantify the mass concentration of the microplastics. Microplastics were detected in 80% of the thrombi obtained, containing polyamide 666, polyvinyl chloride, and polyethylene. Analyses suggest that higher concentrations of microplastics may be associated with greater disease severity. The authors note the small size of the study and suggest further research with a larger sample size is required.

Elion Medical Communications