- We will only use your personal information when it is necessary for us to deliver you our Services (defined in section 3 below) or perform other necessary business functions and activities including Related Services (defined in section 6 below).
- We will not use or disclose your personal information for purposes unrelated to our business activities and the Services and Related Services we provide, unless we first obtain your consent.
2. The Policy
We are bound by the requirements of the laws of New Zealand, including the Privacy Act 2020, which regulate how we may collect, store, use, and disclose your personal information. Those laws also specify other requirements, such as how individuals may access, correct, and delete personal information held about them.
3. Your Consent
Elion is a freelance medical communications business offering outsourced medical writing and medical copywriting support and consultancy for medical communications agencies, healthcare advertising agencies, and medical device and pharmaceutical companies worldwide (“Services”).
Our business relies on the collection of personal information that is submitted by you, or with your authority, to enable us to provide you with our Services and Related Services.
5. Information we collect
Information you provide to us directly: Our usual practice is to collect personal information directly from you, when you complete any form, including online forms, register to use our Services, or provide any other information in connection with your use of our Services.
A few examples include:
- Your name, address, email address, telephone number, and payment details.
- Demographic information: gender; date of birth; age.
- Contact details: correspondence address; telephone number; email address.
Information we get from third parties: We may collect or obtain personal information from authorised third parties (e.g. credit reference agencies, law enforcement agencies). This includes information such as public information, references, or background checks such as credit and criminal record checks.
Information we collect automatically: We may collect personal information about you automatically when you visit our websites or use our Services, like your IP address and device type. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technologies. Please refer to Cookie Settings on the website.
Information we create in the performance of the Services: We may also create or obtain personal information, such as evaluative records about your interactions with us, and any interactions we have with others on your behalf.
Information you make public: We may collect or obtain your personal information that is publicly available, including via online channels such as social media (e.g. LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.)
Your choice: You can always choose not to provide your personal information to Elion, but it may mean that we are unable to provide you with the Services.
6. How is your personal information processed?
Where we collect personal information, we will only process it:
- to perform a contract with you including, without limitation, the provision of any Services and any Related Services; or
- where we have legitimate interests to process the personal information and these interests are not overridden by your rights; or
- in accordance with a legal obligation; or
- where we otherwise have your consent.
Elion collects your personal information so that we can provide you with the Services you may request. In doing so, we may use (including, disclose to third parties) the personal information we have collected from you for purposes related to the Services (“Related Services”) including:
- to process, administer, and manage the Services we provide to you;
- to help us develop, improve, enhance, administer, and facilitate our Services and business operations;
- to process your personal information for Elion’s internal business purposes;
- to verify your identity and user details;
- for general internal purposes (such as record keeping, database management, billing, and debt collection);
- to assist with the resolution of any issues including disputes relating to the Services;
- to comply with all laws and regulations in all applicable jurisdictions; and
- to communicate with you.
In order to carry out our functions efficiently including, without limitation, for the purpose of providing the Services and Related Services, we may also anonymise and aggregate your personal information with other data and use it in a manner in which you cannot be identified.
7. When will we disclose your personal information?
Your personal information will not be sold, traded, rented, or otherwise provided to others without your consent.
We will not otherwise disclose your personal information unless we believe on reasonable grounds that you have provided your authorisation. However, you should be aware that we may be required to disclose your personal information without your consent if such disclosure is permitted or required by law. Where possible and appropriate, we will notify you if we are required by law to disclose your personal information.
8. Storage and Security
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information and we take reasonable precautions to protect it from unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure.
Elion implements and maintains organisational and technical security measures that are designed to provide reasonable protection against the loss, interference, or misuse of your personal information and to prevent unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure of that information.
9. Links to other websites
10. Email, Text, and Telephone Communications
We are committed to full compliance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
By subscribing to emails and/or text communications, or otherwise providing your email address and/or mobile number, you consent to receiving emails and/or texts (as the case may be) which promote and market our products and services, or the products and services of others, from time to time.
You can unsubscribe from our email communications and/or text communications at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any promotional or marketing email or text received or by emailing [email protected]
Once you have unsubscribed from the email or text communications, you will be removed from the corresponding marketing list as soon as is reasonably practicable.
11. Your rights to access or correct your personal information
It is your responsibility to ensure that the personal information you provide to us is accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you, request that we update or correct any personal information we hold about you, ask us to restrict or cease processing your personal information, or even delete your personal information, by setting out your request in writing and sending it to us at [email protected]
We will review your request as soon as reasonably practicable to comply with our legal obligations.
If we are unable to give you access to the information you have requested, we will give you reasons for this decision when we respond to your request.
The length of time we keep your personal information depends on what it is and whether we have an ongoing business need to retain it (for example, to provide you with a Service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal requirements such as money laundering and financial reporting legislation).
We will retain your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you and for a period of time afterwards where we have an ongoing business need to retain it, in accordance with our internal retention policies and practices. Following that period, we will make sure it is deleted or anonymised. Otherwise, as a general rule, we only keep your personal information for as long as we require it for the purposes of providing you with our Services and/or Related Services.
13. Privacy Concerns
We take your concerns seriously. If you have any concerns about privacy or the use or collection of your personal information by Elion, please contact us at [email protected] and include the word ‘PRIVACY’ in the subject field.
We will respond as quickly as possible (our target response is 20 working days) and handle all complaints in a way that is fair and consistent. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can make a formal complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner (www.privacy.org.nz).